This popular bar snack is always a hit when you’re looking to make a tasty treat at home and with the addition of Spicy Red BBQ Sauce the flavor gets amped up. This recipe is a better, preservative-free alternative and super easy to make at half the price when you do it yourself. Smoked nuts make excellent gifts to give friends, family and neighbors and if you are socializing over a cocktail before dinner or having the guys over to watch the game, everyone loves to grab a handful of nuts to munch on.
There are numerous nuts, such as pecans and almonds that work well with this recipe but our family likes having a variety of mixed nuts to keep it interesting. Costco sells a 40 oz canister of ‘Extra Fancy’ Mixed Nuts. We’ve come to enjoy these due to their size and quality so this is what we’ve stuck with. The final outcome is a savory, salty, smoky nut that has a little crunch from being roasted. Serve warm.
Smoked Spiced Mixed Nuts
- Smoker or grill
- Aluminum 1/2 pan (or sheet pan)
- Quart size Ziplock bag
- 4 ounce Pecans (or Mixed nuts)
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 tbsp Spicy Red BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp Worchestshire Sauce L&P
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt Lowrys
- Melt butter, add all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place nuts in Ziplock bag.
- Add melted butter mixture to nuts and thoroughly coat all nuts.
- Poke small holes into bottom of Aluminum pan.
- Pour nuts from baggie into aluminum pan and spread out into a thin layer.
- Smoke at 250-275º (or grill on the indirect heat side) for approximately 30-45 minutes, Stir every 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place in a storage container for up to 3-4 days.