Our Poblano Meatloaf is a tangy, Tex-ified twist to an American classic. This mighty meatloaf recipe uses finely chopped veggies to create a lighter meatloaf that has a subtle smokey flavor from roasted poblano peppers. Using Texas Tang BBQ sauce as a glaze elevates this recipe for an authentic taste of comfort that’s better than the typical ketchup versions.
Roasted Poblano Meatloaf
- Charcoal Grill
- 10" bread pan mold
- BlueDot Wireless Thermometer
- Food Processor
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Sheet Pan
- 1 Bottle Texas Tang BBQ Sauce
- 6 oz H-E-B brand garlic flavored croutons
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot peeled
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 poblano pepper
- 18 oz ground chuck 80/20 fat ratio
- 18 oz ground sirloin
- 1 ½ tsp Mortons Kosher Salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp bacon fat or beef tallow
- DirectionsHeat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Roast poblano peppers and red pepper on grill till the skin is blistered. Once removed from the grill and cool to the touch, use the flat edge of a knife and scrape the blistered parts off exposing the tender flesh. Add this to a food processor bowl.
- Now add croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, thyme, onion, carrot and garlic. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture, but not pureed. Combine the veggie/bread crumb mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing and working the meat too much.
- Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Grab a silicon basting brush and generously apply 1/2 bottle of Texas Tang BBQ Sauce to meatloaf.
- Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. We like to use a BlueDot Wireless from Thermoworks.
- Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe so you get a true reading in the center of the loaf. Set the probe for 155 degrees. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with mashed potatoes for a true comfort food experience.