Chicken wings are my favorite part of a chicken so why not combine the best of both worlds and give them that incredible grill smoke flavor while also creating the perfect crispy, char crusted skin. These wings, when mixed with our all purpose spice rub and caramelized with our Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce create the ultimate, award-winning flavors on wings.
The Ultimate Smoked Chicken Wings with Crispy Skin
- Weber Kettle Grill
- measuring cups, basting brush, tupperware bowl w/ lid, or brining bucket
- wire rack
- sauce bowl
- 36+ wings party wings separate drums and flats
- 1 gal filtered water ice cold
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup All Purpose BBQ Rub see recipes
- 3 cups cups Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce Purchase at H-E-B Grocery Store.
- Unpackage wings, check that all drums and flapper are seperated.
- Create your wet brine mixture. Filtered water, salt and sugar. dissolve and mix well.
- Submerge wings in brine for 12- 18 hours.
- Remove from brine. Rinse and pat dry.
- Fire up your Weber Kettle Grill. Place coals in the center.
- Add wood chunks when coals are ready. We like fruit woods, eg. apple, cherry, peach, etc). Pecan and oak are also great choices.
- Place wings in a circular pattern on outter edge of grate.
- Close lid and smoke. Check occasionally and turn when you see color on them.
- Probe for 165º doneness. Once you reach this temp begin to sauce wings with our Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce. You can find it at your local H-E-B.
- Close lid and allow sauce to set for a few minutes. Carefully paying attention so that they do not burn now that sauce has been applied.
- Begin to move a few wings in at a time to center, over the coals, so that you can begin to caramelize the sauce and form a nice charred crust. This can be a fast paced step, so watch your wings… they can burn here. Move them in and out of the direct heat zone as needed to acheive your desired results. Have a bowl handy so you can begin to pull them off the heat at different times.
- Wings are now probably at 180-190º. Because we brined them, they are still moist and will pull perfectly off the bone for a very clean bite.
- Add finished wings to a large serving bowl and if you wish now is the time to add a bit more bbq sauce to give them a final coating for that perfect shine.