“SAŁATKA JARZYNOWA” is the Polish name for this common side dish, which translates to “vegetable salad” but many Americans might simply think of it as Potato Salad. Whatever you decide to call it., it’s a fantastic side dish that’s present at every Polish table during the holidays, and it also makes the perfect side dish for barbecue get togethers as it’s a perfect complement to grilled and smoked meats.
Once you have this side dish made, now it’s time to boss up and sauce up so be sure to grab a bottle of our Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce which is perfect for your family backyard barbecue. You can find our sauce either on our webpage for out of state residents, or if you reside in Texas grab a bottle at your local H-E-B Grocery Store.
If you enjoy this recipe, please be sure to share it. Thank you!
Polish Potato Salad
- knife, measuring spoons, cutting board, boiling pot, large bowl
- 2 Pounds Boiled russet potatoes 1/2" dice once cooled
- 10 oz Tart apples 1/4" dice (Green apples, peeled)
- 8 oz boiled carrots 1/4" dice (organic)
- 7 oz Cucumbers in Brine Polish cucumbers (find at Polish, Russian stores)
- 1 can sweet peas 15-ounce can
- 6 eggs hardboiled peeled, diced
- 4 oz red onion small dice
- 1.5 cups mayonnaise 1.5-2 cups (to taste)
- 2 tsp kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- Satrt with a clean, santized work space. Scale all ingredients
- Source Polish Pickles in brine. We find these at Polish, Russian Stores. Or find, "Osem" brand cucumbers in brine at your local H-E-B Grocey store, which are often in the Jewish Food isle.
- Boil large russet potatoes until fork tender. Allow to cool, Peel and dice. Add to bowl
- boil carrots until tender, allow to cool and dice. Add to bowl.
- Open can of peas, drain, add sweet peas to bowl.
- Small dice red onion
- small chop hard boiled eggs
- Peel and small dice tart, green apples
- small dice cucumbers in brine
- Gently mix all ingredients. Add in Mayo, Salt and Pepper. Gently mix again and chill.